Rudy's Tortilla History


Founded March 15, 1945 by Mr. Jose R. Guerra as Texas Tortillas Factory, our first plant was located at McKinney and Maple Avenue close to the present day Crescent Hotel.


Tortilla production at that time was by the "Comal" system, which is a hot griddle where tortillas are placed and turned over by hand with a spatula.



In 1949 the plant moved to 2608 McKinnon with one tortilla machine and three employees. Automation had increased production to approximately 600 tortillas per hour by use of a single row tortilla oven.

By 1971, with the demand for tortillas steadily growing from Mexican Food Restaurants, the leased space expanded to 2,400 sq. ft., or three times the original space.

By 1977, having outgrown their facility, Rudy's Tortillas purchased its first building, the old Southland Feed Store at 5120 Maple Avenue, with 9,000 sq. ft. on half an acre of land. With 15 employees and more modern equipment, production had now increased to over 25,000 tortillas per hour or over 40 times the original rate.

In order to continue servicing their customers, Rudy's leased equipment and space in a location close to Fort Worth and within seven days resumed production. With the aid of friendly competitors and support from their customers, the down time in production and distribution was minimal.

In September, 1994, taking a leave of absence from his studies at the University of North Texas, Rudy Sr.'s youngest son joined the company. Joe R. Guerra, named after his grandfather, the founder of the company, took complete charge of rebuilding the kitchen and retail store portion of the Maple Avenue location.

Joe received his BS from UNT in 1996 with a degree in SMHM, Hospitality Management. He is now VP of Rudy’s Tortillas serving 40 states and multiple countries.

In October, 1994, Rudy's Tortillas returned to its own building, a newly purchased, customized plant of 25,600 square feet on three acres of land at 535 Regal Row in the industrial area of Dallas.

We are proud to celebrate 70 years, three generations. Our new production plant is now located at 2115 E Belt Line Road, Carrollton, TX 75006. The facility produces millions of tortillas a day with its state of the art tortilla equipment technology. We are still cooking fresh whole kernel corn for our most popular #1101 Ultra Thin White Corn Precut. Our staff now operates under G.F.S.I. Global Food Safety Initiative, S.Q.F. Safe Quality Foods, H.A.C.C.P., C.N. Child Nutrition and E-Verify.

 

 

On January 1, 1964, Jose R. Guerra sold the Texas Tortillas Factory to his youngest son, Rudy Guerra, Sr. and his wife, Carmen, whose dream of owning a printing business was now converted to building up the family business. Growth continued at the McKinnon location until 1965.

Due to the construction of the Dallas North Tollway, in 1965, Texas Tortillas moved to 4426 Maple Avenue at Arroyo. Texas Tortillas opened with a space of 800 sq. ft., seven employees and two tortilla ovens. With the aid of dedicated employees and the help of any family member tall enough to see over the service counter, the retail portion of the business continued to grow.


In 1975, Texas Tortillas Factory incorporated and became Rudy's Tortillas. Rudy Guerra, Jr. joined the company as Vice President of Operations, becoming the first of the third generation in this family business.

As Rudy's Tortillas continued to grow, in 1989, after graduating from Texas Tech. University and a short tour with the U.S. Army, Louis J. Guerra joined the company as the Marketing Director.

We celebrated our 50th anniversary. It is with great pride we thank the customers, employees, vendors, friends and family that have supported us.